Monday, April 4, 2011

This is Me....Then - Jeny's Closet Makeover

Jennifer_lopez_-_this_is_me_then_-_cd_album_cover

Thank you Jenny from the Block,

 

I don't come from an IT background. I never did learn about HTML and codings in school or was I ever taught. This blog, everything from its buttons to its link, images and plugins are self learned and self taught. 

I don't claim to be an expert.

I just asked Google. (Like a lot!)

And in my journey of self discovery trying to manage this blog, now yes, I do consider myself an expert in my own right. There are ways to have a customized, easy-to-maintain blog at no cost at all. But be forewarned, it does have its fair share of hair pulling moments.

 

I can almost hear techie fan boys, blogging experts snigger BUT I'm not writing this for you guys. I am sharing this for all the rookies who bored of free templates for their own sites/blogs but don't know where to begin and who thinks you have to pay for premium services. *snigger* I feel like I am letting out a trade secret.

 

Jeny's Closet then....

I apologize for the image. I should have captured a screenshot of it before my HTML experiments. I don't know that I was going to be successful on a first attempt with the template change.

Jc_old

What I like about the old...

There is an authentic rookie feel and it has that honest, homely feel to it. Besides Brasticks, I can promote cupcakes and pies and it will still be 'appropriate'.

What I don't like about the old...

It looks like most personal blogs out there and I was craving for a different look.

 

Jeny's Closet now...

It is still a work-in-progress. There are bits of fonts I wanted to change but as a whole it is pretty much 90% complete. 

Jc_new

 

What I like about the new...

It has my favourite colour, purple as a signature look. I love that the plugins and sidebar are now much neater and framed. Plus, the Twitter and RSS icons are part of the CSS rather than a script. If you are not familiar with the jargons it is ok....you will eventually understand them the more you spend your time working and managing your sites and blog.

What I don't like about the new...

First, the image part does irritate me a little but it does add a more interesting look to the blog. I have to replace those damn shopping girls cos Jeny's Closet is not just about fashion or shopping. Second, it looks a little too professional. I will probably add in more cartoony buttons to make it look more friendly.


So what do you think? Do you like the new layout? Post idea eureka moment - I may write a 'How To' post so please subscribe, in the meantime you can always ask me or comment on how I made the switch.

 

SOS!

If you know of any great simple tricks on how I can customize my fonts, please comment. I would really appreciate it.

 

J.

 

 

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Templates
Web Analytics