Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Author's Post - The Idea of Success (The Beginning Chapter)


This is not just another ‘About’ post. What the ‘About’ page lacks in detail, I’m going to address in this post.

Here’s the deal: I’ve been working full time for almost 10 years. I’ve had a lot of failures and a lot of successes in my attempt to climb the corporate ladder.

In my younger days, success would mean a heavy paycheque, fancy cars, fancy clothes, fancy bags and a fancy boyfriend. By a fancy boyfriend I mean, tall, suave, good looking and he too owns a heavy paycheque, fancy cars and…..well you get my drift.

Having gone through losing my entire savings, incurring debt, climbing the corporate ladder from below (again), being cheated on and a bad dirty break up, my idea of success now is – if I can get through the day only to still feel grateful and happy, knowing that tomorrow is another day and I’ve done the best that I could to celebrate the day I have today.

No longer do I set goals of where I want to be in the next 5 years or 10 or 20. I set goals now on very short specific terms. For example, today I want to wake up at 6am and talk to God. Today, I shall attempt not to make Mum upset. Today, I shall finish work by end day and not think about work. Today, I shall not spend more than 10 bucks. Today, I shall remember to appreciate my boyfriend. Today, I shall exercise. I take care of today Today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

While setting goals for the next 5 years may be useful for you to get ahead in life, I find that for most people are disillusioned with what they perceive will make them happy. In my most depressing moments, though I was earning well and my goals was well on track, there were times when I felt I was just an empty vessel or a plane on autopilot. Why stressed out on the next 5 years when you don’t even know if you’ll be here tomorrow?

Don’t get me wrong. I still want to get wealthy or rich. Having surplus income is honestly nice, getting the latest fancy bag do give me delight occasionally but I won’t sell my soul for it. I started Jeny’s Closet precisely because I want to create surplus income but I don’t do that at the expense of time with my family or friends. If I don’t feel like managing the blog for the day, I don’t do it. If I rather read than write a post, I’ll read. It is not the be all end all. Ultimately, freedom of choice is what I am after. Eventually, if it surpasses my expectations to replace a full time income, great. If it doesn’t and turns out a flop, I will still enjoy the journey to get there anyhow.

Take care of today and tomorrow will take care of itself.

J.



Earn your first dollar online here.
Jeny's Closet Opening Soon!

 
Design by Free Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Templates
Web Analytics